January 22, 2010

.sushi night.

Earlier in the day, we were invited to go to sushi with Ben's brother, Brycen, and his wife, Amy (who is my good friend) tonight. We politely declined, due to lack of substantial funds to spend on raw fish yummy-ness. Then, a miracle! I got a call from my work saying that I had a check waiting there and that it had been sitting in the safe for nearly two weeks. Since I don't work often, I had no idea how much the check would be for, but I guessed it would be a whopping $40.00 or less.

To my surprise, and delight, it was nearly $250.00! We decided to find an sitter and go out for a night on the town. Ben called up Brycen and asked if the sushi invite still stood, which it did. My mom was kind enough to babysit on short notice and we headed over to Fuji Sushi.

Fuji Sushi is a small establishment in Centerville, a stones throw from when I grew up. I had never eaten there, but had heard good things, most especially from my mom and step-dad, who are true sushi lovers.

We sat down with Amy and Brycen and perused the menu. We opted for a Shrimp Tempura Roll, Spiderman Roll, and, of course, some Miso soup. As soon as we ordered, I started feeling a little uneasy...

Even though I have eaten sushi many a time, I get a little nervous when trying a new, unfamiliar roll. I think this is because, by strict sushi law, you have to put the whole piece in your mouth at once, which is usually a big mouthful.

Looking like a squirrel in public with a mouthful of raw fish is bad enough but worse still is that once it's in there, you're pretty much committed to eating it. So, if it turns out to be a nasty tasting mix of dead fish and seaweed, with an unsavory, slimy texture, too bad! You have to man up, chew it as quickly as you can without looking like wuss, and swallow it down past an overwhelming gag reflex.

The miso soup was predictably delicious and both the rolls we got were, thankfully, quite tasty as well. The only "negative" culinary aspect of the evening would have to be that the Spiderman roll was a tad spicy... like 'eating-liquid-hot-magma' spicy. Ha, ha!

All in all, it was a fantastic evening out. Good food, good company, and lots of raw seafood; what more could you ask for?

1 l'il comments:

Nikki said...

Um, in case you wondered, I never stick the whole thing in my mouth at once. It's breaking so many rules but can't do it! Ahh! It you are ever on 3300 S. and State Street, you should check out Red Ginger. Their sushi rolls are half off right now...and probably forever. Mike and I went over the weekend and we got 7 rolls and two bowls of miso soup for $20.00. True.

Post a Comment